UBC has selected Workday as the core enterprise system - to replace UBC's Student Information System (SIS), Human Resource Management System (HRMS), and Financial Management System (FMS). The decision to choose Workday came after an extensive procurement process, due diligence, and input from the UBC community, including demonstration events on both the Vancouver and Okanagan campuses.
Many universities in Canada and the United States are implementing Workday because of its ease of use, ability to configure, higher education best practise functionality, and lower cost of ownership. As part of its evaluation, UBC consulted with other research-intensive universities using Workday to leverage lessons learned to successfully plan and deploy to the campus community.
Workday is an industry-leading Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) cloud-based platform that provides users with a 21st century experience that continually evolves. Workday consistently passes rigorous third-party compliance audits of security, confidentiality, availability, and privacy controls with 99.9% uptime in the past two years. UBC’s Workday tenant will be hosted in Canada at an Amazon Web Services facility.
Workday offers flexibility to configure its product to accommodate UBC’s preferred business processes. All Workday clients are on the same release, using the same line of code and as such provides the opportunity to adopt successful practices and processes to achieve consistency across UBC.
Benefits of Workday to all campus stakeholders include:
- Focus on Higher Education: Along with other clients, UBC will be an active participant in shaping the future of Workday’s higher education services.
- Software as a Service (SaaS): Software and data are delivered to users via the cloud.
- Mobile Capability: Users can perform a variety of actions using mobile, tablet or computer devices in a secure environment accessible anytime, anywhere.
- Improved Reporting: Workday will provide reliable data and reporting capabilities, providing a better view of information needed to make important decisions.
- Compatibility: Workday uses web services that will integrate with other university applications or third-party applications.
- Simplicity: A single interface, with one sign-on provides convenience and cohesion to conduct work across HR, Finance and Student services.